Hosted by Sjokz and Goldenboy, there were a wide array of awards given out tonight that recognised talent across the esports industry with awards being given to players, brands, organisations, content creators and more as the evening sought to recognise the best esports has to offer.
For content creation, Hitch took home the Esports Videographer of the Year award and Helena Kristiansson won Esports Photographer of the year. Twitch continued it’s three year hot streak by once again earning Esports Streaming Platform of the Year. ESPN Esports had a good evening as they won Esports Coverage Website of the Year and one of their staff writers Jacob Wolf earned himself the title of Esports Journalist of the Year for his outstanding work in investigative journalism.
The players, of course, were also recognised tonight with Console Rookie of the Year going to Kenny and PC Rookie of the Year being won by BWIPO. Astralis earned themselves Esports Team of the Year but none of their players could beat Simple who claimed top spot as PC Player of the Year. Msdossary claimed the Console Player of the Year award.
It was up to Deji(Comedyshortsgamer) to reveal the publisher of the year. This presentation went down with mixed reviews after he called out Twitch by saying “Yo, shout out to Twitch for illegally streaming our fight. Yeah! You owe us money!” The comment was a response to an unofficial broadcast of Deji and his brother(KSI)’s fight against Jake and Logan Paul in August. The atmosphere remained tense as Deji jokingly announcing Epic Games as Publisher of the Year before revealing the Blizzard had actually won the award.
Blizzard continued to enjoy success through the evening with another two awards. Overwatch won Esports Game of the Year and the Overwatch League finals won Esports Live Event of the Year.
Finally, Ninja also had a great evening as he won both Esports Personality of the Year and Esports Streamer of the year.
That would be all for the Esports Industry Awards 2018, we’ll have to wait again until November next year to see who the future top talent will be. Don’t worry if you missed the awards show live as you can catch up with it on their twitch vod here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/335060711
The Esports Industry Awards 2018:
- Unsung Hero of the Year: Milos Nedeljkovic
- Esports Videographer of the year: Hitch
- Esports Streaming Platform of the Year: Twitch
- Esports Breakthrough game of year: Fortnite
- Console Rookie of the year: Kenny
- PC Rookie of the year: BWIPO
- Esports Photographer of the year: Helena Kristiansson
- Esports Coverage website of the year: ESPN Esports
- Esports Team: Astralis
- Supporting Agency of the year award: Evolved Talent
- Esports Commercial Partner of the Year: Intel
- Esports Journalist of the Year: Jacob Wolf
- Esports Hardware Provider of the Year: Nvidia
- Esports Play of the Year: Attach
- Esports Live Event of the Year: Overwatch League Grand Final
- Esports Broadcaster of the Year: Maven
- Esports Publisher of the Year: Blizzard Entertainment
- Esports Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Esports Personality of the year: Ninja
- Streamer of the Year: Ninja
- Esports Segway of the year: Goldenboy
- PC Player of the year: Simple
- Console player of the year: Msdossary
- Esports Organisation of the Year: Cloud9